Professionals The Kelly Team
193b Flinders Street Yokine
08 9344 5544
08 9344 4151Contact us
The name ‘Yokine’ was derived from the Aboriginal word meaning ‘native dog’. Western Australian Golf Limited were the owners of Yokine from at least 1927, and the group subdivided a small portion of land near the golf course. Prior to World War II the only house in the area was at the eastern end of Royal Street. A housing boom began in Yokine after the war and much of the area around the golfcourse was developed in the early 1950’s. The southern section experienced rapid growth in the 1960’s and by the late 1970’s much of the area was developed.
Residential development has generally taken the form of single detached dwellings, particularly in the western and central portions. The style of building varies considerably, ranging from brick developments for the ’40’s to timber framed houses, to modern styled homes. More recently there have been many duplex and unit developments dispersed throughout the suburb, and the existence of large lots around Spencer and Shakespeare Avenues will encourage further such development.
Significant landmarks include Yokine Reserve, The Western Australian Golf Course, Dog Swamp Shopping Centre, and a heritage survey marker at the top of Mt Yokine which indicates the importance of the area to Perth Surveying as one of the highest points in the metropolitan area.
“Joondanna Heights” was originally selected as the name for this suburb. This was decided in a competition organised by the Perth Road Board. It is believed that the dame was derived from a farm owned by early settler Mark Banks in what is now Osborne Park.
Land was first granted to T. R. C. Walters in 1840, however little occurred until after World War II. By 1958 there was little vacant land available. Until recent years single detached houses dominated Joondanna. Whilst many of these have made way for unit developments, single residential houses still dominate the area.
Local Joondanna Park
“Nollamara” is and Aboriginal word for what is more commonly known as the Black Kangaroo Paw. Prior to World War II the area was used mainly for market gardens and poultry farming. The State Housing Commission started construction in the area in 1950 as part of the Mirrabooka satellite city project.
Redevolopment of the older houses, and significant reduction of the state housing has seen property values increase for some time now. There is a good range of public recreation areas with several reserves offering a range of activities. Des Penman Reserve is the largest and most developed park in the area offering a wide range of facilities including lawn bowls and tennis.
Des Penman Reserve
Balga is derived from the Aboriginal word for the native grass tree. The area was primarily used for market gardens and poultry farming until large scale development in the 1950’s by the State Housing Commission. Balga street began to be laid out in 1959 with the majority of brick and tile housing constructed between 1964 – 1967. With most of the lots roughly 700sqm and the area now zoned R40 Balga is undergoing significant rejuvenation and improvement. The suburb features numerous parks, recreational facilities, aquatic centre and sporting clubs.
Professionals The Kelly Team are excited to be opening their brand new office in Balga in early 2014.
Balga Tree Balga Aquatic Centre
The suburb now known as Westminster came about in 1994 when residents requested their area be named after the original estate in that area. Between 1936 and 1955 a limestone road named Westminster Boulevard passed through the suburbs then known as Nollamara and Westminster estate. Due to the area’s extensive Jarrah and Banksia woodlands, timber cutting was popular in this area in the early days of the colony. The Westminster area was resumed, along with surrounding suburbs, by the state housing commission in the early 1950’s and similarly to those suburbs the big lots zoned primarily R40 are undergoing extensive redevelopment.
Mirrabooka takes its name from the Aboriginal word for the constellation known as The Southern Cross. The suburb was originally planned as a satellite city to accommodate the rapidly increasing post-war population. The plans and boundaries for the satellite city were changed several times over the years. By 1982 the original plan for a complete satellite city were abandoned and the suburb of Mirrabooka was formally created from and area previously known as Yirrigan. Mirrabooka is largely characterised by single detached dwellings on small to medium lots. Much of the area has been developed, however there are a small number of vacant lots remaining in the eastern sector. Houses are predominantly single storey brick and tile.
The area is well provided with open space and parks. Mirrabooka Square Shopping Center provides a wide range of goods and services and significant employment opportunities. There are three primary schools, a senior high school and major recreation facilities including the Herb Graham Recreation Centre.
Mirrabooka Shopping Centre